Entry to Mid level FT DevOps/SRE for a small company owned by a big company (Black Book owned by Hearst)! Tons of visibility and ownership, no siloing! $70-110k + bonus DoE
As an organization, Black Book is open, transparent, and very customer focused. Leaders in the organization consistently showcase the following key attributes and look to build teams that embrace these qualities every day:
• Shift Left Mindset
• Constant desire for self-improvement and growth
• Embracing change and ambiguity
• Strong sense of ownership, focusing on accountability
• Oriented around the customer experience
• Foster and celebrate an inclusive environment
Black Book is the source of the most trusted automotive valuations and information used by dealerships, financial institutions, fleet owners and insurance providers on the market. We develop APIs (RESTful and graphql) and web+mobile applications that provide insights on a variety of motor vehicles.
IT Operations Team: Black Book IT operation team’s main responsibility is to make sure that our infrastructure runs in a smooth and stable manner. That mostly means preventing any kind of outages, generating and keeping an eye on the metrics, constantly improving observability, taking urgent mitigation measures when needed, and assisting other teams on infrastructure and systems topics.
On a typical day the SRE will work with Azure DevOps, Linux and Windows systems, Kubernetes, Docker, Helm, DataDog, Grafana, AWS, Pulumi. If you don't know all these tools, it’s alright! We are not expecting that you will know them all, and we understand that technology evolves quickly. A strong will to stay up to date on technologies is appreciated!
You are an engineer based in The United States of America and are passionate about observability, automation, and reliability. Your team can count on you to deliver best practice, well-informed solutions to hard problems. You probably came from a development background, or an IT operations background with a penchant for coding automated solutions in a scripting language like Bash, PowerShell or Python instead of repeating manual toil.
You are comfortable working with developers, leadership, and less-technical individuals to help everyone provide value to Black Book. You enjoy taking opportunities to fix problems, mentor your peers, and like to step outside your comfort zone to continually develop your skillset. You understand that there’s a lot more to observability than CPU and RAM usage.
You enjoy cloud technology! You are constantly learning, researching emerging and trending technologies and filtering the noise to limit oversaturation of tooling around observability and alerting.
• Observability and alerting configuration (e.g. DataDog, Prometheus, Grafana)
• Incident resolution
• Production monitoring
• Cluster creation and maintenance (EKSCTL, Pulumi)
• Incoming requests handling from developers and support
We are looking to hire someone with these skills:
• You are expected to work with a high degree of autonomy
• Experience in a large-scale, distributed Linux/Unix or Windows is a plus
• Knowledge of configuration management tools (e.g., Ansible, Terraform, Pulumi)
• Experience with any scripting language (Bash, Python, PowerShell.)
• Experience with any high-level programming languages (NodeJS, .Net Framework/.Net Core, Python, etc.) is a plus
• Experience with container and scheduling technologies (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes)
• Familiarity with Kubernetes application management tools (i.e., Helm, Kustomize)
• Familiarity with GraphQL and RESTful systems and their APIs
• Familiarity with cloud providers such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform with a strong preference to AWS
• Experience with observability & logging (e.g., Datadog, Prometheus, Grafana)
• Mentoring peers and sharing skills
• Great communication skills